Amazon.com Widgets

As featured on p. 218 of "Bloggers on the Bus," under the name "a MyDD blogger."

Friday, May 28, 2004

The messenger's been shot!

Steve Gilliard is all over this story of Pat Boone blaming CBS and 60 Minutes II for showing images of torture at the Abu Ghraib prison, which is bizarre on so many levels. First of all, isn't Pat Boone about 50 years removed from relevancy on this or any topic? Apparently not to NewsMax.com, which initially printed his letter. Secondly, even the quote itself, aside from its complete moral relativism and blind support for rape and murder, is insane. And I quote:

"For me, CBS has become 'the enemy within,' and I hope never to watch the network again."

You hope? What does that mean, you hope never to watch it again? Mind you this wasn't a slip of the tongue, this wasn't said and transcribed, Boone wrote this in a letter. What does he mean, "I hope my hands won't fail me by involuntarily changing my remote to CSI: Miami one day" or something?

Of course, we can all see that blaming CBS for making us less safe, and making statements like "The next time America or Americans suffer at the hands of terrorists, thank CBS" is about as ridiculous as blaming Alain Resnais for making us less safe by putting out all of those pictures of skeletal Holocaust survivors. I don't know if the Constitution came with the free Chevys you got every year for singing music you stole from black people, Pat, but it has this thing in there about freedom of the press. It doesn't, to my knowledge, have anything in there about condoning torture.

And rape. And murder. That's one thing that's been bugging me. While the allegations have expanded to include these other charges, the media has largely continued to report it as "prison abuse." It's rape and murder, OK?

|