Amazon.com Widgets

As featured on p. 218 of "Bloggers on the Bus," under the name "a MyDD blogger."

Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Da Senate

Well, Matt Drudge is reporting that Mike Ditka will announce that he's running for the US Senate in Illinois against Barack Obama. That probably means it's not true. But if it is, this has got to be the dumbest, most contemptible insult to the intelligence of the American electorate since... well, since last October, when Schwarzenegger became governor.

I'm not sure I can live in a country where Mike Ditka is a Senator. I t makes me long for the days when state legislatures chose the Senators, taking it out of the hands of the rabble. If he gets voted in, I'd call for immediate repeal of the 17th Amendment. "We clearly don't know what we're doing. Take our voting rights away from us!"

The good news is that Obama is a god damn rock star, and only a preceived "legend" like Ditka would have a shot at him, and even then I'd give Obama the edge. Obama has political skills at least equal to Oklahoma's Brad Henry, who beat Seahawks WR Steve Largent like a drum in the OK governor's race a few years back. If Ditka does in fact run and lose, it would be the end of the GOP as we know it in Illinois. There's a reason they call the desperation pass at the end of a football game a "Hail Mary," you know; if it fails, it's over.

I guess I just don't want to know how stupid the American people are. Can we just not allow fucking football coaches to be in politics? Hmm, I guess it's too late; Dr. Tom Osborne, former Nebraska football coach, holds a House seat. OK, maybe the American people are that stupid.

|