Amazon.com Widgets

As featured on p. 218 of "Bloggers on the Bus," under the name "a MyDD blogger."

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

I'm President, you're not, nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah

At the very end of this New York Times article about the opening salvos in the Social Security debate on the Hill, I noticed this paragraph revealing the sophisticated level of political discourse in which our President engages. It's kind of like what you would experience on a playground if somebody wanted to use the monkey bars instead of you:

Representative Charles B. Rangel of New York, the senior Democrat on the House Ways and Means Committee, said he met with the president last week and urged him to take private accounts off the table so the two parties could work on solvency.

Mr. Rangel said Mr. Bush replied: "Congressman, I am the president. And private accounts are not coming off the table even if it's the last day I spend in the presidency."


Aside from the attempt at bullying and humiliation implicit there, I was struck by this fact; I thought the President has said over and over again that he hasn't presented a plan for Social Security. How could he ensure that private accounts are not coming off the table if he's never put anything ON the table?

I think that's Mr. Bush's slip showing there.

|