Amazon.com Widgets

As featured on p. 218 of "Bloggers on the Bus," under the name "a MyDD blogger."

Monday, April 04, 2005

Whisper Sweet Nothings To Me, God

Via Crooks and Liars, I see Randall Terry, a guy whose stock-in-trade before two weeks ago was bombing abortion clinics and trying to kill doctors, singing a love song to Jesus at the Terri Schiavo memorial. It's about as creepy as creepy gets. Digby provides the words to this mess:

When I feel the waves crash over me
Father
And my heart is overwhelmed with pain
Help me, find me, seek me, hide me
In the scars you bear
Caress me in your embrace
Run your fingers through my hair
I believe in you


And you read those, and you really see how sexually repressed these theocrats are. He wants God to caress him and run His fingers through his hair. One part of the late Pope's undeniable legacy is this scandal of boy-molesting in the US Catholic church, and when you have rules of chastity and celibacy, you get things like this happening. This isn't a normal dude. Normal dudes aren't asking Jesus to caress and rub them. The sexual overtones of these types of things are inevitable in a religious structure that sublimates and represses desire. I'm down with P-O-P-E (yeah, you know me), but this was one instance where he could have done a lot of good and caused a lot less heartbreak and suffering by simply modernizing the church. Randall Terry is probably beyond modernization, however.

|