Amazon.com Widgets

As featured on p. 218 of "Bloggers on the Bus," under the name "a MyDD blogger."

Friday, May 20, 2005

All Hitler All Day

I really don't want to hear it anymore from Republicans about how Democrats have poisoned the national discourse with all of those references to Bush and Nazism. We all know by now that Rick Santorum (R-Man on Dog) used the very same allusion while discussing his Democratic colleagues in the Senate.

I can't tell you how many conversations with Republicans, online and offline, begin and end with "You guys are out of control, you think Bush is Hitler." Well now we have a Senator, a Republican Senator, doing the same thing.

Look, somewhere in the last 60 years it became much easier for rhetorical practitioners to use Hitler as a code word for evil. The notion that only one group of people employ this technique is absurd. This isn't about comparing Democrats to Nazis (at least to me, I could care less), it's about the hypocrisy of using that with you decry in others.

By the way, this is my first posting in days because of major Internet problems. It also happens to coincide with my highest ever traffic numbers. Ironic, huh?

|