Amazon.com Widgets

As featured on p. 218 of "Bloggers on the Bus," under the name "a MyDD blogger."

Friday, July 29, 2005

One Side Only

I'm a blogger. I wear my politics on my sleeve. If you think I only give one side of the story (and I try to at least offer the other alternatives), it's probably because of these facts. I also don't write this as news, but opinion. There's a big difference.

Roll Call is a nonpartisan Congressional weekly offering news. Today they ran a story (subscription only) about anti-Robert Byrd ads being run in West Virginia without contacting anyone in the WV Democratic Party, the DNC, the DSCC, or the Byrd campaign. Now, the news item is that Republicans are running ads, so if you think the other side doesn't really have to respond to report this news, fine. But apparently the writer was told by the GOP that she could only run the story if she didn't call anyone else.

This isn't the first time this has happened. The New York Times and the Washington Post have engaged in this one-sided "journalism" recently as well. The GOP has learned that these media outlets are so desperate for inside dirt that they can muscle the reporter to tell their story their way. This has unbelievably dangerous consequences for the future of a free press.

|