Amazon.com Widgets

As featured on p. 218 of "Bloggers on the Bus," under the name "a MyDD blogger."

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

My Brush With Media Fame

Well, I taped the radio show. It'll play tonight at around 11pm PST in LA (KTLK-AM 1150), and there's a live stream available here.

I ended up discussing a couple recent stories from the blog, and I think I got too much into "just the facts, ma'am" mode and forgot to be entertaining in the first segment. The information was getting out there, but I think I was drowning in citations. It's a different medium, and you need to adjust. Of course, it's hard to toss a snarky comment in when you're talking about Haditha. "Those dead children should have went on a diet, they'd have outran the Marines! HAHAHAHA!".

I finished the segment and immediately said "Well, that was HILARIOUS!" Then Maron spent the rest of the show teasing that I wanted to come back on and "be funny." I actually did tell a little story at the end of the show. I was definitely more comfortable then.

Hopefully they'll have me back on and I can improve a bit. Why don't you listen to it and let me know what you think?

UPDATE: In between my two segments was this guy Jay Babcock of Arthur Magazine, with an awesome story about his interview with the lead singer of Godsmack. They're the band featured on several US Navy commercials, which has led them to untold success. Babcock called him on the fact that the military was basically using his music to seduce kids into fighting (as if they expect there to be groupies hanging out backstage from Fallujah). Here's the transcript. An excerpt:

JAY: So I notice you guys have been really involved with promoting the military.

SULLY: Well, they actually came to us, believe it or not. Somebody in the Navy loves this band, because they used ‘Awake’ for three years and then they came to us and re-upped the contract for another three years for ‘Sick of Life.’ So, I don’t know. They just feel like that music, [laughs] someone in that place thinks that the music is very motivating for recruit commercials I guess. And hey, I’m an American boy so it’s not… I’m proud of it.

JAY: You’re proud of recruiting your fans into the military?

SULLY: Well, no. [laughs, then playfully] Don’t be turning my fucking words around, you!


The whole thing is brilliant. Listen in between me!

|