Amazon.com Widgets

As featured on p. 218 of "Bloggers on the Bus," under the name "a MyDD blogger."

Monday, May 15, 2006

Rovian Kabuki

Karl Rove popped up at the American Enterprise Institute today (was he giving a farewell address?), and he had this to say:

"Look, we're in a sour time. I readily admit it. To be in the middle of a war where people turn on their television set and see people dying is not something that makes people happy and optimistic and upbeat. I heard the same kind of language about the 2004 election."


Since when? There are published reports of Iraq casualties, but I consume a lot of news, and I don't remember the last time I saw a dead or even wounded body from Baghdad. They won't even allow the flag-draped coffins to be photographed.

I hear Rove and Bush say this a lot (after all, they share the same speechwriter, namely Rove). This is misdirection. The Iraq war isn't seen as a failure because of the broadcast media (and that's the implicit charge here), it's seen as a failure because of the facts: the death toll, the lack of reconstruction, the sectarian strife, the weakness of the central government.

|