Amazon.com Widgets

As featured on p. 218 of "Bloggers on the Bus," under the name "a MyDD blogger."

Friday, June 09, 2006

Yearly Kos - First Impressions

It's really amazing to walk through a hotel and see Kos and Atrios looking around for something to eat. That's not cool to 99.9% of the globe, but it was cool to me. I got in around 11:00am and registered. There's free wireless access in the convention area, but it's not the greatest. It did get better as the day wore on, however. I saw a few people I've met at meetups in Los Angeles before, so it was nice to see some familiar faces.

The pundit training panel which I liveblogged about earlier was really interesting. Judd and the other lady (forgot her name) from Think Progress know their stuff, and provided a lot of little tips for how to project a good image on radio and television. I'm just happy that there are Democrats that even think about this at all. That shows that some infrastructure is being built. I wish I took that seminar before I wound up on the radio last week, I think it would have been a big help. In today's political climate, the medium is the message, and how you look and how you took can often be important as what you say. I think it comes down to confidence and practice. Comedy is the same way. The more sets you do, the better you get, and the more confident you get in your material.

Tonight there are a few parties, including a keynote address featuring Tom Tomorrow (the cartoonist behind This Modern World, whose site introduced me to political blogging), the Laughing Liberally guys, and Kos himself. The panels and workshops are important, but it's about meeting and connecting with the netroots community. Only through banding together are we going to get anywhere. Already I've met Mike Stark of Calling All Wingnuts and Maryscott from My Left Wing. That's invaluable to me.

I'll check in as things progress.

|