Amazon.com Widgets

As featured on p. 218 of "Bloggers on the Bus," under the name "a MyDD blogger."

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Glenn Beck Needs To Be Fired

This kind of ugly bigotry shouldn't be endorsed by a supposed news network:

BECK: History was made last Tuesday when Democrat Keith Ellison got elected to Congress, representing the great state of Minnesota. Well, not really unusual that Minnesota would elect a Democrat. What is noteworthy is that Keith is the first Muslim in history to be elected to the House of Representatives. He joins us now.

Congratulations, sir.

ELLISON: How you doing, Glenn? Glad to be here.

BECK: Thank you. I will tell you, may I -- may we have five minutes here where we're just politically incorrect and I play the cards face up on the table?

ELLISON: Go there.

BECK: OK. No offense, and I know Muslims. I like Muslims. I've been to mosques. I really don't believe that Islam is a religion of evil. I -- you know, I think it's being hijacked, quite frankly.

With that being said, you are a Democrat. You are saying, "Let's cut and run." And I have to tell you, I have been nervous about this interview with you, because what I feel like saying is, "Sir, prove to me that you are not working with our enemies."

And I know you're not. I'm not accusing you of being an enemy, but that's the way I feel, and I think a lot of Americans will feel that way.


A lot of bigoted, ignorant Americans will feel that way, the ones that think (like Glenn Beck) that every member of a religion necessarily embodies the worst, most perverted aspects of that religion. Since Glenn Beck is a Christian, I guess he has to prove to me that he's not about to embark on a Crusade using children to free the Holy Land. I mean, Christians did that in 1212, surely they're all the same, right?

You cannot let someone this bigoted and ignorant remain as a featured anchor on a major network.

UPDATE: I forgot to mock the "I like Muslims, I've been to mosques" remark that preceeded the slur. You know what, bigots need to be unrestrained and free. They don't have to couch their statements with "some of my best friends want to kill me and my family." Just go ahead and say you have no contact with the minority of your choice and that's why you hate them. It's far more believable.

|