Amazon.com Widgets

As featured on p. 218 of "Bloggers on the Bus," under the name "a MyDD blogger."

Saturday, December 16, 2006

Just Think Of What You'll Be Missing

You won't have Evan Bayh to kick around anymore.

U.S. Sen. Evan Bayh, D-Ind., announced early today he will not be a candidate for president in 2008.

His decision was made public in a statement released to The Indianapolis Star.

"As you know I have been exploring helping the people of my state and our country in a different capacity," he wrote. "After talking with family and friends over the past several days, I have decided that this is not the year for me to run for President and I will not be a candidate for the presidency in 2008.

"It wasn't an easy decision but it was the right one for my family, my friends and my state. I have always prided myself on putting my public responsibilities ahead of my own ambitions."


I think the field winnowing this early is probably bad for the country. I'm not a big fan of Evan Bayh's, but the marketplace of ideas should be broader than Hillary/Obama/Edwards. Hopefully others won't be talked off the ledge as well. Obviously it's a money problem, and that fact - that you have to raise so much to run for President or really anything - is reaching a crisis point for our democracy.

|