Amazon.com Widgets

As featured on p. 218 of "Bloggers on the Bus," under the name "a MyDD blogger."

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

"You're Out of Line"

How Dick Cheney can say this about somebody else is beyond me, but especially given the circumstances:

Q We're out of time, but a couple of issues I want to raise with you. Your daughter Mary, she's pregnant. All of us are happy. She's going to have a baby. You're going to have another grandchild. Some of the -- some critics, though, are suggesting, for example, a statement from someone representing Focus on the Family:

"Mary Cheney's pregnancy raises the question of what's best for children. Just because it's possible to conceive a child outside of the relationship of a married mother and father, doesn't mean it's best for the child."

Do you want to respond to that?

THE VICE PRESIDENT: No, I don't.

Q She's obviously a good daughter --

THE VICE PRESIDENT: I'm delighted -- I'm delighted I'm about to have a sixth grandchild, Wolf, and obviously think the world of both of my daughters and all of my grandchildren. And I think, frankly, you're out of line with that question.

Q I think all of us appreciate --

THE VICE PRESIDENT: I think you're out of -- I think you're out of line with that question.

Q -- your daughter. We like your daughters. Believe me, I'm very, very sympathetic to Liz and to Mary. I like them both. That was just a question that's come up and it's a responsible, fair question.

THE VICE PRESIDENT: I just fundamentally disagree with your perspective.


Having already been bashed over the head by Lynne Cheney, Blitzer was about as delicate as you can be with that question. There is a controversy from the right over Mary Cheney's baby, and the Vice President is a public figure. I wonder if he thinks that people like James Dobson are "out of line" commenting about his family, and the tragedy of one of them experiencing the happiness of motherhood. How come it's never the fundies on the right that get called out for this behavior, but those who ask about it? This was a moment for Cheney to tell Focus on the Family that his personal life is personal, but that would damage the fragile relationship between the neocons, the corporate cons, and the theocons. No, instead generate mock outrage at merely being asked about it.

Cheney also said things were going really well in Iraq, but he's said that before. The news is how embarrassed he is to have a gay daughter, and how impotent he is telling the religious right to butt out of his life. The whole interview is here.

|