Big Media D-Day
The National Journal's Blogometer will be profiling me today. They sent me an email questionnaire a while back, and I don't think I considered that it would be used for publication when I returned it. Hopefully I won't be too embarrassed.
Also, I'm scheduled to appear on the BBC World Service's "World Have Your Say" radio program between 10 and 11am PST (1-2 EST) talking about impeachment. This isn't a subject I really cover on a daily basis, but I'll give you a preview of my thoughts. I think when you have a President who asserts the prerogative to ignore Congressional laws through signing statements, who eavesdrops on American citizens without a warrant, who holds detainees indefinitely in secret prisons and commits acts of torture, who uses the Justice Department to shield members of his own party and punish members of the opposition, these are qualities you wouldn't want to see in any President, Democratic or Republican or Green or Libertarian. These are activities for which impeachment was practically designed. But because of what happened in the 1990s, when an out-of-control, fever-mad Congress impeached a President over consensual sex, spent hundreds of millions of dollars on an independent counsel witch hunt, fully opposed by the American people, the well of impeachment has been poisoned and can no longer be seen as anything but a ruthless partisan act. And I think that's unfortunate. Sometimes, I think that the Bush Administration COUNTS on that fact.
Labels: BBC, impeachment, National Journal






<< Home