Head Cowering Under the Pillow
I knew Jack Kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy.
Lloyd Bentsen to Dan Quayle, Vice Presidential Debate, 1988
I'm no John F. Kennedy.
Bill Richardson, Meet The Press, today
I know he was (sort of) joking, but it's the perfect quote in the context of Richardson's appearance today. I haven't felt more embarrassed to be a Democrat than watching him on the show. How could anyone in politics not know Tim Russert's shtick by now? Russert and his team dig up quotes to paint you into a corner. It's what he does. It's all he does. How do you not prepare yourself for that?
Richardson honestly looked like a guy they plucked out of a diner eating breakfast rather than someone in public life 25 years. He looked worse than I'd ever seen George Bush look in an interview. Truly. On the issues he was incoherent. He couldn't give a straight answer. He couldn't even look Russert in the eye (and when we interviewed him at the CDP convention he did the same thing, he never looked up).
What a perfect end to an ignominous week. I think I'll go to sleep and start over.
Labels: 2008, Bill Richardson, Meet The Press






<< Home