Amazon.com Widgets

As featured on p. 218 of "Bloggers on the Bus," under the name "a MyDD blogger."

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Two Votes on Iraq

It looks like the Progressive Caucus is going to get a vote on the fully funded withdrawal of troops and contractors from Iraq without delay. At the conclusion of that vote, if it doesn't pass, David Obey's "short-leash" bill will get a vote, giving the President a set amount of money but requiring a report on progress in Iraq within 60 days to release half of that money. The President has announced that he would veto the short-leash bill; I would assume he would also veto a fully funded withdrawal.

So, that's where we're at. The President wants a "compromise" defined as "giving absolutely everything I want." The Congress is trying to serve their constituents. There is a complete impasse there.

I am happy to see a vote come up for a fully funded withdrawal. It's important to get everyone on the record. I don't know how many votes it'll get, but I would hope that my Congressman supports it.

The Democrats, for the moment, appear to be standing strong.

UPDATE: Just called my Congressman, Henry Waxman. I asked if he would support the McGovern amendment for a fully funded withdrawal. The aide said that Rep. Waxman has been in committee and he doesn't know. He said he "supports withdrawal," but the answer was noncommital. I encouraged him to support the McGovern amendment.

Labels: , , , ,

|