Amazon.com Widgets

As featured on p. 218 of "Bloggers on the Bus," under the name "a MyDD blogger."

Saturday, July 14, 2007

CDP: E-Board Meeting Friday Night

Back at our hotel in Sacramento with hekebolos after the first day of the executive board meeting of the CDP.  I spent most of my time in the Progressive Caucus, and since Donald Lathbury of the California Majority Report had his laptop with him and I didn't, I'll outsource the running commentary to him.


I will say that the caucus was once again the most well-attended, most organized group in the CDP, and I sense that people there are growing more confident in their ability to make real change happen within the party.  There have been setbacks, no doubt, but they continue on.


I will say something about the net neutrality debate tomorrow.  Brad Parker from PDA (Progressive Democrats of America), as I mentioned, will be debating Jim Gordon, chair of the Labor Caucus and a member of CWA (Communications Workers of America), tomorrow morning.  I'll be liveblogging.  But the outcome of that debate, while entertaining, is irrelevant to what will happen tomorrow.  There will be two resolutions in the Resolutions Committee - one by Brad Parker, and one by Jim Gordon.  I haven't seen the text of either, but I can safely assume that Parker's supports the principle of a free and open Internet without discriminating against any content provider, no matter how big or small, while Gordon's talks about "building out broadband access" and implicitly endorses the telecoms getting additional revenue streams by forcing content providers to pay them for high-speed access.  As Parker put it today, "broadband for the haves, and dial-up for the never-wills" is what the telecoms want.


So this will play out tomorow in resolutions, and Brian will have the inside scoop, I assume.  Meanwhile, Elizabeth Edwards will address the general session at 9:30 am tomorrow.


And on an unrelated note, our hotel is hosting the largest anime convention in Sacramento.  I'm the only one here without an oversized sword and a lion costume.  Hekebolos has his on right now.

Labels: , , ,

|