Amazon.com Widgets

As featured on p. 218 of "Bloggers on the Bus," under the name "a MyDD blogger."

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

The Dream Is Over

The boldest, most important Presidential bid in the history of the globe has ended.

Stephen Colbert has dropped his bid for the White House.

His announcement came after the South Carolina Democratic Executive Council voted last week to keep the host of "The Colbert Report" off the state's primary ballot. The vote was 13-3 [...]

"Although I lost by the slimmest margin in presidential election history — only 10 votes — I have chosen not to put the country through another agonizing Supreme Court battle," Colbert said Monday in a statement. "It is time for this nation to heal." [...]

"I want to say to my supporters, this is not over," Colbert said. "While I may accept the decision of the Council, the fight goes on! The dream endures! ... And I am going off the air until I can talk about this without weeping."

In reality, "The Colbert Report" was going off the air because of a strike by Hollywood writers that began Monday. Many talk shows were expected to be shown in repeats during the strike.


If he was allowed on the ballot, and the writers went out on strike, would he be down in the Palmetto State right now doing non-stop campaigning? That could have gotten interesting. But politics has lost its sense of humor. And the world will never know a pretend conservative talk show host's thoughts on raising the tax rate on hedge fund managers.

Spoilsports!

UPDATE: Wow, Obama supporters pushed to keep him off the ballot?

Labels: , , ,

|