Amazon.com Widgets

As featured on p. 218 of "Bloggers on the Bus," under the name "a MyDD blogger."

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Singing For Citizenship

I'm trying to figure out if this really happened, but Canadian singer Feist (you have to say "Canadian singer" before mentioning Feist) was on The Colbert Report last night, and she mentioned that she has dual citizenship, and Colbert asked her how, and she replied that Steve Jobs got it for her as part of her deal for using her "1-2-3-4" song on iPod commercials.

I understand that she'd need a work permit to sign a contract in the United States, like any singer or touring band, but can a rich guy really get someone dual citizenship like that? How can that possibly be legal? And did every poor farmer in Michoacan just recognize that their key to a life free of hassle in the United States is simply to write a catchy indie song?

Matthew Yglesias, my usual source for all things Feist, didn't mention this today yet, so I'm still trying to figure out the implications here. I do know she did this good live version of "I Feel It All."



UPDATE: Apparently, she was joking and has an American father who currently lives in Canada. It was not told like a joke, in my defense, but I've been denser about plenty of other things in my day, and this won't be the last.

Labels: , , , ,

|