Amazon.com Widgets

As featured on p. 218 of "Bloggers on the Bus," under the name "a MyDD blogger."

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I Loaned My Landlord The Rent Money

Ted Stevens' testimony ended yesterday, and I think he basically admitted guilt on at least one count.

The senator, who testified earlier that he never received free home renovations, told jurors in his federal corruption trial that he wished he had called police when a business executive replaced furniture in his Alaska home with bulky items damaged by cigarette burns.

Stevens, 84, one of the most powerful Republicans in the Senate, added that he tried to refuse the $2,700 massage chair as a gift from another friend in 2001. The Brookstone chair remains in the basement of his Washington home -- on loan, Stevens said.

"We have lots of things in our house that don't belong to us," said Stevens, who is seeking reelection to a seventh full term. "I let him put it in our basement at his request."


I can't tell you how many times business executives insist that they leave expensive gifts in my home. They're not "mine," of course, and I feel sheepish about using them, but as long as the Jacuzzi is on loan, everything's above board.

Closing arguments will be presented today, and we may have a verdict by the end of the week. This has kept Stevens from campaigning in Alaska, but if he ends up being found innocent, I think he sweeps to victory. If he's guilty, he loses. It's the October Surprise we know. Mark Begich doesn't have a lot of control over the matter.

Labels: , , ,

|