Series Of Tubes In A Series Of Trouble
I don't think you can sound more guilty than this if you tried.
Sen. Ted Stevens told wealthy businessman Bill Allen they needed to stick together and "really lay low" to beat an FBI investigation into their cozy relationship, according to audiotapes played Monday at the senator's corruption trial.
"Screw them, if they prove we did something wrong," the senator says in one of a series of secretly recorded telephone calls in the fall of 2006. "In my heart, I don't think we did. ... I say, screw it."
Stevens, unaware Allen already was cooperating with investigators, advises him, "We ought to really lay low right now." He also tells him to cut down on drinking, watch his health and await the outcome of the probe into more than $250,000 in renovations on the senator's cabin and other gifts provided by Allen's oil pipeline company, VECO Corp.
"Let's stick this thing out together, OK?" Stevens says.
Accused of lying on Senate finance disclosure forms to conceal the gifts, Stevens repeatedly — and sometimes profanely — asserts his innocence on tape. But he also tells his old friend he's worried about the appearance of wrongdoing and even warns that they might be under surveillance.
"I think they're probably listening to this conversation right now," Stevens says in the recording.
"We might have to pay a fine and spend a little time in jail," he continues. "I hope it doesn't come to that."
Is it worse that Stevens, a lawmaker, considers justice to be determined entirely in his head, or that he suspects that he's under surveillance yet CONTINUES to incriminate himself?
Either way, this looks horrendous for Stevens. Go Mark Begich. You can actually listen to the tapes, which is good for at least an hour of amusement, at this link (scroll to the bottom).
Labels: AK-SEN, culture of corruption, Mark Begich, Ted Stevens






<< Home