Amazon.com Widgets

As featured on p. 218 of "Bloggers on the Bus," under the name "a MyDD blogger."

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

I'm Playing 1000-Dimensional Chess

Wasn't there a Saturday Night Live character with the tag line "I mean to do that"? Yeah, that's Michael Steele:

Steele: I am very introspective about things. I don't do -- I am a cause and effect kind of guy. So if I do something, there's a reason for it. Even, it may look like a mistake, a gaffe. There is a rationale, there's a logic behind it.

Lemon: Even with the current events in news--

Steele: Yeah.

Lemon: There's a rationale behind Rush, all that stuff?

Steele: Yup. Yup.

Lemon: You want to share it with us?

Steele: Sure, I want to see what the landscape looks like. I want to see who yells the loudest, I wanted to know who says they're with me but really isn't.

Lemon: How does that help you?

Steele: It helps me understand my position on the chess board. It helps me understand, you know, where the enemy camp is and where those who are inside the tent are.

Lemon: It's all strategic?

Steele: It's all strategic.


As Josh Marshall says, the fallout of that "strategic decision" was to know that everyone is against him and nobody is with him. I guess that counts as "intelligence," but it doesn't seem particularly actionable.

With the bank bailout and the populist anger and the moderates behaving moderately, there is room in this environment for an opposition party to be really successful. Unfortunately for Republicans, they aren't one.

Labels: , ,

|