Amazon.com Widgets

As featured on p. 218 of "Bloggers on the Bus," under the name "a MyDD blogger."

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Feingold: Bybee Must Go

Russ Feingold signs my petition, rhetorically speaking:

"The just released OLC memos, including the 2002 memo authored by Jay Bybee, are a disgrace. The idea that one of the architects of this perversion of the law is now sitting on the federal bench is very troubling. The memos offer some of the most explicit evidence yet that Mr. Bybee and others authorized torture and they suggest that grounds for impeachment can be made. Clearly, the Justice Department has the responsibility to investigate this matter further. As a Senator, I would be a juror in any impeachment trial so I don't want to reach a conclusion until all the evidence is before me."


That last line is the prudent course - you wouldn't want a judge to tell you his opinion before the facts of the case are provided. But this is a very strong statement, although I liked what Feingold had to say about Peggy Noonan even more:

"If you want to see just how outrageous this is, I refer you to the remarks made by Peggy Noonan this Sunday," he said, referring to the longtime conservative columnist's appearance on ABC's This Week. "I frankly have never heard anything quite as disturbing as her remark that was something to the affect of: 'well sometimes you just have to move on.'"


I'm glad he decided to push back on this "let's look forward" meme. I've rehashed these arguments over and over again. We cannot claim to being a country of laws while leaving lawbreakers free and heinous crimes on the table.

On the flip side, you have Joe Lieberman. I like the side I'm on.

Sign the petition.

Labels: , , , , ,

|