Amazon.com Widgets

As featured on p. 218 of "Bloggers on the Bus," under the name "a MyDD blogger."

Monday, April 13, 2009

Swing And A Long Drive, Deep Left Field, That Ball Is Outta Here...

RIP to a great broadcaster and also a colleague, Harry Kalas.

I grew up listening to Kalas on Phillie games, but when I worked for a year at NFL Films, I got to work with him on Inside the NFL. The voiceover system at NFL Films could be best described as primitive; you would sit in the booth with Kalas, and when the VO line needed to be read, you would tap him on the shoulder. I remember the very first time I had to go into the booth with him, and it was another dreary September for the Phils, and I asked him who was pitching that night, and in his signature style, he intoned, "That would be that Mike Grace." Just perfect if you knew Harry and his voice. I didn't have a long working relationship with him, but I'll certainly miss him.

Mark "The Bird" Fidrych died today as well.

Labels: , , , ,

|