Amazon.com Widgets

As featured on p. 218 of "Bloggers on the Bus," under the name "a MyDD blogger."

Friday, May 22, 2009

I'd Scratch Probably

Nancy Pelosi bascially signaled she's done with the controversy over her comments on the CIA and torture.

I have made the statement I'm going to make about this. I don't have anything more to say about it... what we are doing is staying on our course and not being distracted from it and this is a distraction... moving forward in a bipartisan way for jobs, health care, energy for our country.


Because Pelosi got the pile-on treatment from the press, largely for no reason, this is probably the right move. But it comes at a time when the traditional media is finally realizing how wrong they were at every point of this debate. Jay Newton-Small, about a week or so behind the blogs, lists all the problems with the CIA's story, the endlessly parsed statements from Republicans, and the corroboration from other Democrats who were briefed, and comes to the conclusion that Pelosi was "probably" right about all this. See the title.

I've said that I'm not all that sanguine about the motives of the press on this, considering that they dropped the subject and went after Republicans at precisely the moment when talk of investigations heated up. But I suppose I can grant some thanks that the media is finally catching up to the facts here - and more so, that they are clearly paying attention to the work of writers like Marcy Wheeler. That will be valuable down the road.

Labels: , , , ,

|