Amazon.com Widgets

As featured on p. 218 of "Bloggers on the Bus," under the name "a MyDD blogger."

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Journamalism!

So Glenn Thrush of Politico, seeking to post a sexy headline and justify it, hid the context of a Tom Perriello quote with ellipses to make it seem like he was tarring everyone who attended his town halls as a racist. When questioned, Thrush restored the full text without commenting that he changed it.

Today, he rightly offers an apology - but the content of it is truly revealing:

A couple of days ago I ran an item on Rep. Tom Perriello (D-Va.), who appeared on MSNBC to talk about the town halls -- and commented that he had witnessed some racist comments over the summer.

The video, which had gone viral among conservatives, was sent to me by a tipster. I watched it, thought it was interesting, and began to transcribe the key parts. As I was transcribing, I got an email from a NRCC spokesman Andy Sere, who wanted to comment on it, appending what appeared to be a full a transcript of the exchange.

A time saver, I thought, so I cut-and-pasted. What I didn't immediately realize was that Sere had replaced key words -- that provided important context --with elipses. When the error was pointed out, I quickly fixed it.


Shorter Glenn Thrush - I was writing a story when a partisan operative passed me some text, so I dutifully copied it without checking.

I think this comment says it all: "did you WIN THE AFTERNOON though?"

Labels: , , ,

|