Amazon.com Widgets

As featured on p. 218 of "Bloggers on the Bus," under the name "a MyDD blogger."

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Spanky Duvall Just A Master Storyteller

Somehow, Michael "Spanky" Duvall thinks that he can get away with this statement:

Assemblyman Duvall Denies Reports that He Had Affair

I want to make it clear that my decision to resign is in no way an admission that I had an affair or affairs. My offense was engaging in inappropriate story-telling and I regret my language and choice of words. The resulting media coverage was proving to be an unneeded distraction to my colleagues and I resigned in the hope that my decision would allow them to return to the business of the state.


Apparently, Duvall was spinning a tale, in a private conversation never meant to be heard by anyone but his colleague, about a man named "Michael Duvall" who just happened to be sleeping with the same woman that everyone in Sacramento has seen him palling around with for the last several months. It was a bit of magical realism, I guess.

Actually, Duvall would be legally culpable if he admitted an affair with an industry lobbyist on a committee on which he sat. So this is CYA stuff.

I'm beginning to rethink my position that a Yacht Party member is equal in value to an empty chair in the Legislature. Actually, the empty chair has significant advantages. It's a predictable non-vote, equivalent to a no vote under the 2/3 rules, and crucially, the empty chair has almost no possibility of ever saying anything this stupid. I wouldn't be surprised if the Yacht Party just decided to keep the seat vacant. Would save them a lot of trouble.

Labels: , ,

|