Amazon.com Widgets

As featured on p. 218 of "Bloggers on the Bus," under the name "a MyDD blogger."

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

My Point Finally Made

The fact that Sen. Craig (Wide Stance - ID) wasn't really guilty of anything illegal, yet pleaded guilty anyway, is something I called a firing offense.

...if a lawmaker thought that his civil liberties were being violated and he was being unfairly targeted for arrest, he could have brought it up in court. Someone who's supposed to be writing the laws of the nation cannot credibly claim to be duped. To me it's a firing offense.


This is explained far better by CNN Legal Analyst Jeffrey Toobin, who says that someone who admits to pleading guilty to something he didn't do just to make it go away is actually breaking the law with that action:

Toobin “…But what he did say today was, when I pleaded guilty in Minnesota, when I took an oath and swore to tell the truth to the judge when I plead guilty, I was actually committing perjury — I was lying to the judge saying that I was guilty, when in fact, I was innocent. Now, why he would do that and why he would think somehow pleading guilty would make this matter go away? Why he would think as a United States Senator, that becoming a convicted criminal would not become news, would not be relevant to the constituents who elected me or the taxpayers who pay my salary, I have no idea why he thought that. But that’s apparently what he thought.”


It's probably more relevant to the calls for his resignation that this guy committed perjury and was completely ignorant of the law in favor of saving his reputation. That's what I was getting at, but again I don't think that's why Republicans are collecting his scalp. They're making a purely political decision.

Labels: , ,

|