Amazon.com Widgets

As featured on p. 218 of "Bloggers on the Bus," under the name "a MyDD blogger."

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Mumbai Update

India and Pakistan are in the war of words stage, and while I hope that's all that will come of this, just rhetoric between two nuclear powers can be dangerous. It's positive that the Indian Foreign Minister is not looking into troop movements at this time, but I imagine a lot will hinge on whether or not Pakistan gives up those 20 terrorist suspects India has demanded. So far, the Prime Minister in Islamabad has only said that Pakistan would try the suspects themselves, and I suspect that won't be good enough.

Condi Rice is in the region, but the lame duck administration is not going to be able to manage this. I think it's positive that Obama is considering sending Richard Holbrooke as an envoy to the region to smooth tensions. He should do so as soon as possible. Holbrooke has the right experience for this role.

Labels: , , , ,

|